Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hypothyroidism

I went to the doctor's a couple of weeks ago and was informed that my thyroid is finally under control! Here's my story:


In September of 2008 I found out that I was pregnant with our second child. During routine bloodwork they found that I was hypothyroid with my level at 21.3 (normal is between 0.3-3). I was told that everything shoud be okay with the baby since I found out so early in my pregnancy. In November of 2008 at my 3 month check up my doctor could not find the baby's heartbeat, and I found out that my baby had not made it past 8 weeks and 4 days. I went through a lot in the next 2 months. I had 2 minor surgeries.


My thyroid was crazy because of the pregnancy hormones and didn't get under control until May of 2009. We decided to wait to try for another baby until my body and mind were fully healed. I ran my first 5 k in May, and finally started to feel like myself again.

I found out that I was pregnant again in August of 2009 and had our baby girl in April 2010. By August my levels were under control again and by October they were at 14! I was so upset! Just when I was starting to feel better, my levels got bad again.


So now, just last week I found out that my levels are under control again, and I am so happy! I hope that this is the last I see of blood tests for awhile now! I finally feel happy, strong, lucky, and excited about the future and my health! I want every new mom out there to know about hypothyroidism, and that it is very common in pregnancy and post pregnancy. If you are not feeling right, just go to the doctor and have it checked out because there IS a reason for it.


Having hypothyroidism is horrible! I shrugged off all of my symptoms thinking they were all part of being a new mom! I was depressed, had trouble losing weight, didn't want to ever get out of bed, my hair was dry and falling out, I couldn't remember anything, I had mood swings, I thought that I was going crazy, and I stopped talking to most of my friends. I am lucky I have a patient husband or else I don't think we would have made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment